nslookup, which stands for “name server lookup”, is used to query internet name servers interactively. By default, nslookup tranlsates a domain name to an IP address, or vice versa.
The response would be:
Server: 184.108.40.206 Address: 220.127.116.11#53 Non-authoritative answer: Name: microsoft.com Address: 18.104.22.168 Name: microsoft.com Address: 22.214.171.124 Name: microsoft.com Address: 126.96.36.199 Name: microsoft.com Address: 188.8.131.52 Name: microsoft.com Address: 184.108.40.206
- Here 220.127.116.11 is the address of our system’s DNS. #53 indicates that we are communicating with it on port 53, which is the standard port number DNS’s use to accept queries.
- Below this is the lookup info of microsoft.com. Here we get 5 different addresses which indicates that when you access microsoft.com you may be directed to any of these servers.
Break it down
This is the reverese lookup using the IP address The response would be:
Server: 18.104.22.168 Address: 22.214.171.124#53 Non-authoritative answer: 126.96.36.199.in-addr.arpa name = edge-star-mini-shv-01-ord1.facebook.com. Authoritative answers can be found from: 74.13.31.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns4.facebook.com. 74.13.31.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns5.facebook.com. 74.13.31.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns3.facebook.com. 74.13.31.in-addr.arpa nameserver = a.ns.facebook.com. 74.13.31.in-addr.arpa nameserver = b.ns.facebook.com. a.ns.facebook.com internet address = 188.8.131.52 a.ns.facebook.com has AAAA address 2a03:2880:fffe:c:face:b00c:0:35 b.ns.facebook.com internet address = 184.108.40.206 b.ns.facebook.com has AAAA address 2a03:2880:ffff:c:face:b00c:0:35 ns3.facebook.com internet address = 220.127.116.11 ns3.facebook.com has AAAA address 2a03:2880:fffe:c:face:b00c:0:35 ns4.facebook.com internet address = 18.104.22.168 ns4.facebook.com has AAAA address 2a03:2880:ffff:c:face:b00c:0:35 ns5.facebook.com internet address = 22.214.171.124 ns5.facebook.com has AAAA address 2a03:2880:fffe:c:face:b00c:0:35
- These are the DNS addresses associated with facebook.com
- An AAAA record is what associates a domain name with the specific IP address, so that the browser knows where to go to access the website.
- AAAA is associated with IPv6 (Internet Protocol version 6) records and A is associated with IPv4 records. The eight groups of four hexademinal digits seperated by colons is the IPv6 address.